Video Consumption on Multiple Platforms
Change is the one constant in any business but there are few businesses that are changing as fast as ours. Here are some facts recently published by a New York marketing research company that illustrate how fast things are moving in viewing habits. All data relate to internet users with broadband (cable, DSL) access.
- Broadband internet users who watch/download video at least once a week: 61%.
- News and user-generated, non-professional content are the most often viewed genres, followed by movie previews, music videos and segments/previews of TV shows.
- Watching complete TV episodes online weekly doubled year-to-year: 16%.
- Internet users reporting they have a video-capable cell, MP3 player or PDA: 27%.
- Of these, reporting that they watch video on their handhelds at least weekly: 35%.
You can bet these numbers are higher in the younger and more affluent segments than in the overall population, meaning that these trends will accelerate.
If your target audience is young and affluent, getting your video message online and portable is going to improve its effectiveness. At Sifford, we can convert video into any of the several formats (Quicktime, Flash) that can be viewed online, downloaded for viewing on a computer or TV or watched on a handheld device.
Source: Horowitz Associates, Larchmont, New York; 12/4/07